The Fire Island Next Time

President Barack Hussein Obama is a homophobe. Let me rephrase that: President Barack Obama does not believe that gay Americans should have the same rights as so-called straight Americans.

In case you are wondering: It's none of my business if Obama smokes an occasional cigarette (he can smoke a pack all at once for all I care) or takes his wife Michelle out for dinner and a show now and again. I don't care if he eats his burgers with dijon mustard or shoots hoops with his left hand (though humans used to believe that being left handed was a sign of the devil at work). I do care that he would deny civil rights to gays based upon flinty, abrasive dogma from twenty-five centuries ago--an Old Testament approach to human reality that was bullshit then and is bullshit now. Some BCE asshole in a robe and a shawl spent his free time getting into everyone's gender/sexual business and this is the rock of reason that our great nation is standing upon? Please to be giving me a fucking break.

Well, Barack, I am done with your ass for awhile. I am paying my tab, saying goodnight to the bartender and going home. When I look into the face of an intelligent man and all that I can see is discrimination based upon edicts produced by Bronze Age priests doing the mumbo-jumbo-tango, well, you have shown me too much, sir, and not enough, all at the same time.

Good night to you, and please don't call. You have your feet in the many worlds of the here and now, but your heart and your soul are stuck in a sexist, primitive theological past whose claims to cultural primacy are wrapped in swamp gas and moonshine. It's a shame, really. A goddamn shame.

++++

Comments