I HAVE HAD IT WITH SOUTHERN TWANG*

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I had C-SPAN 2 on the TV today
Listening to crackers all crack away
Talkin’ about some complicated immigration bill
I wish they’d shut the fuck up and go take a pill

One fella from Alabama, and two from Tennessee
Another from Texas, the land of stupidity
Before you get your panties tied up in a bunch
Try and lose that accent before I lose my lunch

(chorus)
I have had it
With southern twang
It has lost its charm
And lost its bang
So if these crackers
Would take a class
They would stop getting on my nerves
And giving me gas

The last great accent from the white man’s south
Belonged to Shelby Foote, from Shelby’s mouth
But for the rest of you, I’m here to say
You sound like ignorant motherfuckers in every way

Now, just for fairness sake, and fairness fun
Let’s have a day wherein everyone
Talks like a southern fool with a southern accent
Get yourself to hollerin’, then go get bent

(chorus)
I have had it
With southern twang
It has lost its charm
And lost its bang
So if these crackers
Would take a class
They would stop getting on my nerves
And giving me gas

Don’t take it personal, that would be wrong
These are just lyrics to a lyrical song
Just run along, now, and go and get
Yourself an accent that ain’t so thick

Perhaps Canadian, Mandarin or Greek
A bit of the British, upper class or cockneek
You might consider Australian, mate
Because the accent you have now is starting to grate

(chorus)
I have had it
With southern twang
It has lost its charm
And lost its bang
So if these crackers
Would take a class
They would stop getting on my nerves
And giving me gas

I had C-SPAN 2 on the TV today
Listening to crackers all crack away
Talkin’ about some complicated immigration bill
I wish they’d shut the fuck up and go take a pill

One fella from Alabama, and two from Tennessee
Another from Texas, the land of stupidity
Before you get your panties tied up in a bunch
Try and lose that accent before I lose my lunch

(chorus)
I have had it
With southern twang
It has lost its charm
And lost its bang
So if these crackers
Would take a class
They would stop getting on my nerves
And giving me gas

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

+++

*This post is just plain mean but in no way, shape or form is meant to denigrate the spry and colorful idiomatic speech patterns of those raised in the southern United States, or in Bakersfield, for that matter. And please do not tell Anttichrist S. Coulter how or where to find me.

+++

Comments

Oscar said…
My grandmother (It sounds a little weird to wax cosmic about one's grandmother, but I'm going to do it anyway) drew a great distinction between her Virginia accent and other Southern accents, which she considered crass. I think she was right about the second part, at least. She was a snob but she wasn't so bad, she read Shakespeare as though he were the Bible. And he is.

A Texan accent is antiintellectualism distilled.
Anonymous said…
No snob like a Virginia snob. We come in all castes and sizes.
mjs said…
I blame C-SPAN 2, and Messrs. Frist, McConnell, Alexandar and Cornyn. I did not even get to the Carolinas or Florida or Oklahoma--Hatch in Utah gets a folksy twang when it serves his purpose.

All I was seeing yesterday were wealthy white men telling each other why gun companies need protection but our ports don't, and all delivered with their own precious variations on Southern accents. It is a very good thing that I am not a Senator (as most folks would assuredly agree) as I would bring to the floor a motion to shut up every single cracker in both houses of Congress and make them use a Stehphen Hawking style speaking box.

As for Foghorn Leghorn, I used his image just because I love that character. He can speak as he wishes and I will never suggest otherwise.

+++
Anonymous said…
Just outed you to Anttichrist S. Coulter. She should be here soon. LOL, Think I'm kidding?
Thanks for the fun, honey child. :)
mjs said…
Thanks for your honesty, POP. When Antti gets fired up she writes with an accent, god bless her.

Next stop: New Zealand.

+++
Hmmm... Okay, first of all, GET THE NAME RIGHT, BUCKY!

And secondly, you seem to forget that I already HAVE your HOME ADDRESS!!!!!!

Heh heh heh heh heh heh...

TWO "N"s, ONE "T"!!!!!!

Sheesh.

And hell yes, I write with an accent --- so did Eudora Welty and Kate Chopin, dammit!

After all, Neil Simon always said, "Write what you KNOW."

So despite 7 fucked-up years in professional radio, my accent has come back with a VENGEANCE. I try to sound as erudite as possible, but yeah, when I get hot, honey, I get all KINDS of country on somebody's ass!

Although, in person, in voice, I tend to get really clipped & yankee-sounding right before I REALLY go off.

Reminds me of the time that The (ex) Boy hit the play button on my answering machine, and a message from my Nannie (grandmother) came out, and he turns and looks at me with the most quizzical expression humanly possible and asks,

"Why is there a 90-year-old black woman on your answering machine??"

(He was a redneck from BUFFALO, so he didn't know that almost all Southerners have accents, not just the hayseeds or the black folks! Of course, he also still didn't know, after living in New Orleans for 6 years, that every neighborhood has a DIFFERENT accent!)

And I fell out laughing and told him, "That's an 83-year-old WHITE woman, but I'm sure that she'll crack up when I tell her what you said!"
P.S. And yes, I know the kind of puffed-up, fake-sounding cracker accents that you wrote about --- clear sign of nouveau-riche white-trash, trying to sound like "society" and failing miserably.

Nothing more dangerous in this world, as Dumbya has proven, as white trash with money.
mjs said…
Thanks, Annti. You always end up reminding me why I love the twanger but not the twang.

+++
Ahhh, but darling, you really shouldn't set me up with straight lines like "love the twanger"... heh heh heh...

Don't leave a door open and then expect me to not run through it, screaming and carrying torches...
Esteban del Mal said…
Hey! What's wrong with Bakersfield?

Other than 25 days of 101+ degree weather and guys in mesh trucking hats that speak with the colorful vernacular "ain"t" so much that I find myself doing it (and I find that half my brain kinda likes saying it) and the fact that it was the last place in California you could afford to buy a house in until all the Angelenos showed up - but then ran back after a few days into the aforementioned heat wave...
mjs said…
Nothing wrong with Bakersfield, but the dialects have more in common with Oklahoma than with Los Angeles (which is where I hang my hat). The song is about losing all tolerance for twang--probably won't get a lot of play in Nashville.

+++
Anonymous said…
I'm a Virginian, and I think there really are class variations within the Southern accents- as opposed to other regional dialects. So it really depends on the person's social indentity.

I would disagree that other Southern accents sound "crass" because there's a class difference. Some are just music to the ears. Especially in Mississippi where it flows smooth as molasses. People in Charleston and Savannah sound very refined. The upper crust Southern cities were Richmond, Charleston, and Savannah after all. The only areas where the southern accents sound bad are Alabama.
Anonymous said…
Fuck you and your little song about the *twang* you speak of. It is a hell of a lot better than ebonics or that lame ass gangster speak.


Go back to picking cotton....nigger.
Anonymous said…
OK your post makes no sense seeing as a lot of people with Southern accents are BLACK themselves.