Momma, I'll Be Alright

Below is a link to a jivester version of a basement tape--I wrote these lyrics and came up with the melody, but it was my sister Diana who wrote the music and played the guitar on this song. She also did vocals on the chorus. We recorded this in her garage in '99 or 2000 (with the aid of her husband, Steve). I don't play an instrument, and am truly indebted to Diana for her work on this song.

I wanted to post this for Mothers Day but didn't get to it in time. I played a cassette tape version of this song through speakers in my living room and recorded that directly onto my iBook G4 via its built-in speaker. The sound is hollow but I like it. Don't tell the sound guys--they will make me ride in the special bus.

+++

When it comes to children and mothers everyday is a sort of meditation on the essential mysteries of love and concern and loss and reassurance. The sons in this song speak to their mothers on a level that is not political or even religious. The feeling for me is something beyond measure, beyond the purview of the gods.

Listen here.

+++

Momma, I'll Be Alright

I saw a young boy talking to his mother
She was crying, he whispered to her
Momma I'll be alright
Oh momma I'll be alright

I saw a poor man talking to his mother
She was crying, he said don't bother
Momma I'll be alright
Sweet momma I'll be alright
You gave me birth, I gave you a smile
We just feel these things for awhile
Oh, momma, sweet momma, I'll be alright
Oh, momma, sweet momma, I'll be alright

I saw a soldier talking to his mother
She was crying, he said don't worry
Momma, I'll be alright
Oh momma I'll be alright

I saw an angel talking to his mother
She was crying, he spoke so softly
Momma, I'll be alright
Sweet momma I'll be alright
You gave me birth, I gave you a smile
We just feel these things for awhile
Oh, momma, sweet momma, I'll be alright
Oh, momma, sweet momma, I'll be alright

I saw a young boy talking to his mother
She was crying, he whispered to her
Momma, I'll be alright
Oh, momma I'll be alright
You gave me birth, I gave you a smile
We just feel these things for awhile
Oh, momma, sweet momma, I'll be alright
Oh, momma, sweet momma, I'll be alright

+++

Comments

Anonymous said…
Kinda off the subject, but what's happening with Correntwire? I followed you over there and have come to appreciate the whole gang.
mjs said…
Correntewire was scheduled for a move to a new host (one which could handle larger volumes of traffic, etc.) but crashed just before the move. Lambert is the tech guru and has been very busy with family matters, but is still working on the move. We hope the site will be up soon!

+++